2018 Instructor and Outreach Position
We have an opening for a paid, part-time opportunity lasting June-August with potential to continue into fall. We’d love the right person to stick around! Compensation will be based on experience. Fun bonus and commission opportunities are available. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re going to have too much fun to handle this summer, and we need help. Please read the below job description if you're looking to spend a lot of time with your National Forests this summer or like to share your passion for nature or your outdoor acumen. If you enjoy working with people and want to help grow a small business then please do continue reading.
The ideal candidate will receive on the job training, assist in conducting, designing and promoting experiential learning and backcountry programs. Adventures Accessed is about building meaningful connections and often, the relationships we build in the backcountry are long-lasting. We grow with a community, attend graduations and participate at our partner’s fundraisers. This is beyond an opportunity to guide in the backcountry, it is an opportunity to be a part of something fulfilling. Over and over again. We ask that you be proficient in relationship building, a thoughtful communicator, be willing to learn and be yourself. Insight creativity and teach us something new – show us your skills and help us leverage your strengths. We don’t need you to be everything to everyone but if you think you’d like to try and be that person, step on up.
Because no one should be without access to nature or the lessons, benefits and love of the wilderness: Our mission is to build meaningful connections between people and nature through immersive, experiential programs for youth and adults. We take pride in emphasizing inclusiveness, diversity and empowerment of the urban communities we serve and strive to make the outdoors a more equitable and inviting space for all.
Who We Partner With
From the public to teams to the young, vibrant and inspired youth of Chicago, our cherished partners-in-adventure include:
Youth organizations and non-profits (some at-risk)
Families and friends/private groups
Who We’re Looking For
We need a Jill or Jack of all trades, someone who can be an ambassador to the communities we serve. We need a passionate individual who is comfortable leading groups and being in charge for consecutive days at a time. Someone who can educate, motivate, inspire and operate without support in a national forest. Be handy while hanging a food bag and be crafty on social media. Know the value of experiential learning and the thrill of exploring human curiosity. This job will require time in the office conducting outreach, social media and business development. As a member of the team, prepare to spend time in the field engaging the public at events and festivals, and of course, leading trips in the Manistee and Hoosier National Forests and potentially the Shawnee National Forest.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Implementation and Support
· Assist in delivering programs that may focus on: personal and team development, leadership, experiential learning
· Be a master in outdoor leadership. Build your arsenal of outdoor skills, communication methods and opportunities to challenge groups
· Identify and make contact with organizations that fit the list above. Educate and inspire groups to answer the call of the wild
· Hit the kitchen. Collaborate to improve our menu for backcountry dining to keep our groups happy and healthy
· Manage equipment. Assist in organizing, tracking, cleaning and maintaining all backcountry gear
Outreach, Ambassadorship and Business Development
· Assist in shaping the voice of Adventures Accessed on social media through engaging content and imagery of current programs and outings
· Engage the public at events and festivals. Promote the mission and have fun on the job
· Identify and attend community events to build relationships and strengthen reach
· Sell trips and programs to new clients and customers
Skills and Qualifications
· Current CPR/AED
· Current WFA or higher. We can work with recertifications or help pay for certifications
· Valid driver’s license
· Experience in the backcountry
· Have helped others break barriers, thinks on feet, is safety forward and bear aware
· Be an expert planner with some salt to prove it
· Ability to handle rigorous physical activity for prolonged periods while maintaining a positive attitude in potentially adverse situations
· Be a champion of risk management and mitigation
· Knowledge of SEL and STEAM centered curriculum
· Will need to pass a background check and drug screen to work with specific partners
· 2+ years in outdoor leadership role (overnight camp, NOLS, Outward Bound, etc.)
· 2+ years in delivering curriculum, structured and unstructured programs
· 1+ years in client facing, sales and marketing (retail, brand ambassador, service, etc.)
· In pursuit of or possess a 4-year degree
· Proficient in social media and design with a knack for building relationships and sales
Adventures Accessed values and craves diversity. We’re an EOE/LGBTQ/Veterans/Disabled employer. Any religion, race, color, gender, sexual orientation is welcome. Diversity and inclusion matter here.